The Systems and Risk Protection Assessment Department (Sespri) is responsible for conducting analyses and specialised safety studies for system design, the development and use of probabilistic safety assessments and the protection of facilities against hazards.
This department therefore:
- analyses safety initiatives and the related regulatory texts, in the context of safety reviews of pressurised water reactors in operation and with a view to defining the design of future reactors,
- analyses safety dossiers forwarded under the regulatory context and relating to pressurised water reactor design (preliminary and provisional safety reports),
- analyses the design and operation of systems working towards the safety of both French and international pressurised water reactors,
- analyses the risk of hazard-provoked accidents (excluding fire and explosion) on the pressurised water reactors and formulates opinions on measures to prevent such hazards and on strengthening measures to protect facilities from these hazards.
- develops probabilistic safety assessments (level 1, internal and external hazards) on pressurised water reactors, uses and promotes these assessments in analysing pressurised water reactor safety and promotes these methods for industrial applications other than nuclear,
- participates in defining and implementing R&D programmes in its areas of expertise,
- in its areas of expertise, performs support studies in the analysis or carrying out of the Institute’s cross-cutting projects.
To successfully complete its missions, Sespri consults as necessary with designers and operators, other units in the division and the other IRSN divisions, within its areas of expertise.
- Design and Operation of Systems Assessment Section (Becs)
- Hazards and Safety Approach Assessment Section (BEADS)
- Probabilistic Safety Assessment Section (BEPS)