IRSN, a public expert with industrial and commercial activities, was set up in 2001.
The Institute is supervised jointly by the French Minister of the Ecological transition, the French Minister of Defense, and the French Ministers of Energy transition, Research and Health.
It is the nation’s public service expert in nuclear and radiation risks, and its activities cover all the related scientific and technical issues.
The decree n°2016-283 of 10 March 2016 (view the decree in French) entrusts IRSN with missions of expertise and research in the following areas:
- nuclear safety
- safety of transport of radioactive and fissile materials
- protection of man and the environment against ionizing radiation
- protection and control of nuclear materials
- protection of nuclear facilities and transport of radioactive and fissile materials against malicious acts.
IRSN interacts with all parties concerned by these risks (public authorities, local authorities, companies, research organizations, stakeholders’ associations, etc.) to contribute to public policy issues relating to nuclear safety, human and environmental protection against ionizing radiation, and the protection of nuclear materials, facilities, and transport against the risk of malicious acts.
Download our corporate presentation
Workforce (as of December 31, 2021)
IRSN employs 1,725 people, including many specialists, engineers, researchers, physicians, agricultural engineers, veterinary surgeons and technicians, as well as experts in nuclear safety, radiation protection and control of sensitive nuclear materials. IRSN also hosts the activities of 96 doctoral students and 21 post-doctoral students.
272 € millions spent by IRSN in 2021:
- 39.1% of budget spent on research,
- 52,6% of budget spent on technical support and public service missions.